My Photo
Name:
Location: Leesburg, Virginia

Monday, February 14, 2005

Feed my Valentine

In keeping with my recent saints theme, I can't not mention that today is St. Valentine's Day. Whee. I don't have much to say about this day except that I won't complain about the way couples act on this day because, honestly, if I had a girlfriend I'd act the same way too. In lieu of all that, I will relate that story of St. Valentine, the man, as it were, of the hour.

Valentinus, the future St. Valentine, was temple priest in Rome during the 3rd century, under the reign of Emperor Claudius II. He defied the Roman government by helping Christians escape persecution, especially by performing Christian marriages. Valentinus was eventually arrested and jailed. While he was in jail, he is said to have befriended the jailer's daughter and restored her sight. He also found an unlikely friend in the Emperor himself, who took a liking to the prisoner. Eventually, however, he tried to convert Claudius to Christianity and was sentenced to death. On the eve of his execution he wrote a farewell note to the jailer's daughter and signed it "From your Valentine." He was stoned and beaten within an inch of his life and then beheaded outside the Flaminian Gate in Rome. His remains were buried near the gate and archaeologists have discovered both a tomb and a church there dedicated to him. The date of his martyrdom is popularly held to be February 14, 269. The date was marked in his honor by Pope Gelasius in 496. Because of his reputation for performing marriages, he is the patron saint of love, marriage, and young people.

And now you know...the rest of the story.

Oh yeah, in response to a question by me own mum, unless otherwise noted the poems posted on this blog are all mine. Including this one:

Caelum Sanctum
Your sky is paper
With golden edges
Held up by saints and doves
Mine is air and aether mixed
And I can’t touch it
Or see the corners

This is the third time I've appended this post, but 1000 points to whomever gets the title.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home