My Photo
Name:
Location: Leesburg, Virginia

Monday, February 14, 2005

Just a random thought

On September 21, 2001, just ten days after the terrorist attacks I'm sure we all remember, there was a telethon/concert to raise money for the victims' families. It featured a number of notable bands like U2, Pearl Jam, and Willie Nelson. I don't know how many remember this; I'm not sure why I do. There were songs like Stevie Wonder singing "Love's in Need of Love Today," Enrique Inglasias and Mariah Carey both singing songs called "Hero," and Bruce Springsteen singing "My City of Ruins." Many of the songs had a mourning theme and many were patriotic like "God Bless America." Most were along the theme of forgiveness and healing, great themes. Most of the celebrity speakers echoed this theme. In those days, like a lot of people, we had the TV on all the time waiting for more news. I don't know what I was doing, but I wasn't really paying attention to the concert. I did, however, notice when in the midst of words like "Imagine there's no countries/It isn't hard to do/Nothing to kill or die for/No religion too/Imagine all the people/living life in peace..." from John Lennon's "Imagine" performed by Neil Young, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers came on stage and played a song of their's called "I Won't Back Down," the lyrics to which are included below. That moment has always stuck with me. Since then I've always respected Tom Petty.

I Won't Back Down
by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Well I won't back down
No I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
No I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin me down
gonna stand my ground
...and I won't back down

Chorus:
(I won't back down...)
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(and I won't back down...)
hey I will stand my ground
and I won't back down

Well I know what's right, I got just one life
in a world that keeps on pushin me around
but I'll stand my ground
...and I won't back down

I don't know how many of you remember this, I bet not many. I guess most in my generation will remember Tom Petty through Tom Cruise singing "Free Falling" in Jerry Maguire, if at all. But that's what I remember him for. I don't usually post song lyrics, but I just listened to that song and remembered that concert. Just thought you should hear about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home